About Tech CU
History of Tech Credit Union
Tech Credit Union is a member-owned, not-for-profit financial institution. The credit union was chartered on June 12, 1936 to serve the employees and their immediate families of the Gary Works, Carnegie-Illinois Steel Corporation (which later became known as U.S. Steel Gary Works). Our original name was Carnegie-Illinois Steel Employees Gary Works Federal Credit Union.
When our charter was changed to include membership of other employee groups and mills at Gary Works, we became known as Technical Administrative and Central Mills Division Federal Credit Union. In 1983, we shortened our name and for the fourteen years following, operated as Tech Federal Credit Union. Then in January 1997, the credit union membership and Board of Directors of Tech Federal Credit Union voted to convert from a federal to a state-chartered credit union to take advantage of the growth opportunities that operating under a state charter would provide. With this conversion came a name change to Tech Credit Union. In 2002 we converted to a community charter, allowing us to serve anyone who lives or works in the following communities:
- Lake County, IN
- Porter County, IN
- Starke County, IN
- Will County, IL
- Grundy County, IL
- Jasper County, IN
- LaPorte County, IN
- Newton County, IN
- Greater Calumet City, IL area
Please click here for additional ways you may be eligible to become a member.
To provide the services that enable our members to achieve a lifetime of financial success.
|Tech Credit Union Statistics (12/31/2017)|
|Corporate Member Groups||500+|
|Subsidiaries||CU Mortgage Service|